Friday, February 27, 2009

When Given Snow...


We woke up to 3 inches of snow - very unusual for the Puget Sound especially in late February.
School was delayed 2 hours and I say When Given Snow...


... make snowballs, and snow angels and sledding tracks, and snowmen. Drink hot chocolate loaded with marshmallows (try Theo's chipotle spiced sipping chocolate!) and make some chunky vegetable soup. If you don't have a recipe, here is a quick, easy, healthy and tasty recipe from my very good friend, Mariangela.


Mariangela's Veggie Soup

Use whatever veggies you have on hand:
  • Potatoes
  • Onions
  • Kale
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Zuccini
Chop into small bite-size pieces and saute in olive oil and garlic until onions are soft and potatoes are slightly browned.
Cover with tomato sauce (I used what I had in my pantry - Organic Chunky Tomato Sauce + Stewed Italian Tomatoes + Tomato juice)
Simmer on Med-low heat for 30 minutes until potatoes are soft
Add salt and pepper to taste. Can also add any herbs or spices you want...

We will have left-over soup tonight and I think I will try for a 'mole' influence by adding chili powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and a bit of unsweeetened chocolate. Mmmm



When given snow...
...enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment