Monday, May 11, 2009

Daddy's Dogwood


Daddy loved creating bonsai - the form, lines, balance appealing to the engineer, inventor and artist in him. This was his form of relaxation and meditation. He would spend hours snipping, wiring and visualizing the soul of each tree and I would sit and watch mesmerized by the process and how much love and care he poured into these living art forms. Most of his little trees were rescued from crevices in rocks and replanted in shallow trays. Others were a forest of little saplings underplanted with hills of moss. I used to pretend I was a tiny person climbing the hills, sitting on the rocks and leaning against the trees. His bonsais are still displayed along my mom's deck - tiny, windswept trees many years older than I.

One potential bonzai that got away from him by pushing it's roots out of the pot and into fertile ground was a white dogwood. He presented it to us for our new home 15 years ago and it is now a beautiful tree, older than it looks, underplanted with bulbs and a big mossy rock to sit on.

9 comments:

  1. Go sit my friend underneath this lovely tree and be full of all the memories you and you're sweet dad shared. I can see he's still taking care of that tree, and so he does for you. Just close your eyes and have sweet memories. You'll be surprised what your dad brings you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your dad sounds like a patient, meticulous, caring man.

    the dogwood is lovely... but a strange name, isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds to me like your garden is a lovely green and flowering storyland that brings you close every day to people you have loved and love - I find this incredibly touching. Thank you for sharing your Dad's Dogwood. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever seen a dogwood tree in my area. Thank you for sharing such gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! I would love to paint this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely gift and memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when the dogwood blooms ... I love the idea of an underplanting of bulbs! It must be a truly lovely spot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely! I have both a bonsai Chinese Elm and a dogwood tree in my meditation garden up north. The dogwood overhangs a small granite bench where I can sit and look out over the lake. Homesick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful tree! My mom gave me a Bonsai Kai Apple she planted in 1960. I was petrified I'd kill it since I'm not very good with pot plants but 20 years on I still have the bonsai...looking very healthy....touch wood. Mom's gone 4 years now but I get the feeling she's still tending the Kai Apple.

    ReplyDelete