Monday, June 24, 2013

No 'Devices' - can we do it?

My kids and I are going 'Back to 1977'!

Our challenge: 2 days a week this summer without 'devices' - no computers, cell phones, ipods, ipads, internet

A chance to reconnect as a family, to focus on our art, to write (on paper) and play music, read books with an actual book in our hands, play games that involve staring at each other instead of a screen, go on beach walks together and out to a restaurant without heads bent over cell phones...

Will we be able to make it for 2 days each week throughout the summer? Or are our lives too intermingled with technology? Will I be able to find my way around with old paper maps - will I even remember how to unfold and fold them? How will we all listen to the same music on the radio?

It sounds so easy, but... I rely on my on-line calendar, making appointments via e-mail, connecting with friends via text, writing books on a keyboard - and my dependence is nothing compared with my son's.

Perhaps we will watch 'Back to the Future' and 'Grease' together (wait, those weren't filmed until 1978 and 1985!!) - maybe we'll cheat just a little.

Wish us luck! See you on the other side.

Why 1977 you ask? That was the summer I was between Freshman and Sophomore year in High School... where my oldest son is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment